Snow

Get Snowfall in your blog

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Little Brother

                I am an older sister. People say that older siblings have a lot of responsibility regarding younger siblings. This is usually true, except for the fact that I have an older sibling as well. My older sister is the one who looks out for me and my younger brother. Usually this is a good thing, but not always. I love my siblings dearly, but it’s not always a happy Brady Bunch family around here. When my sister and I were younger we used to fight all the time. My brother was just a baby and hardly able to talk, but we would fight over which one of us he liked more. It seems silly now, but at the time it was a big blow to me when I realized that he learned how to say my sisters name before mine. My two siblings would like to gang up on me at times. My sister was the older “responsible” one, and my brother was the baby, so he is pretty self-explanatory. They were an unbeatable team. My sister would do something bad and blame it on me; of course when she was blaming me she was holding our innocent younger brother. My parents usually gave into the “bread” of the sibling sandwich. But like all sandwiches it is the middle filling that matters most right? Or at least that’s what I like to tell myself.
                Now my sister and I hardly ever fight, but that just makes it so there is more time to pester my little brother. I am not the finest example of an older sibling. There are always times when I decide that there are no recorders playing rules that must be enforced. Occasionally I slip in a little nudge to him here and there, but I would never actually hurt him. Maybe it’s all little siblings (and if that’s the case I have a greater respect for my dad who has 11 younger ones) but is seems like every little thing that they do is the most annoying thing in the world. Every time he hums a song or makes race car sounds or plays that… *Shudder* …..recorder, I can’t seem to ignore it. He in return treats me like I’m younger than him and is always trying to find ways to prove me wrong. I have to hand it to him for being smarter than I was at his age; all I did to my sister was bite her and that didn’t help with anything. Even if we do have our down times, there are a lot of ups.
                Lately our parents have been going to banquets and dinners to honor my soon to be graduate sister and her classmates, which leaves the two youngest at home. We have fun not doing our homework and watching movies.  When the time comes for him to go to bed I will read him a story. Usually it is one of the classic Dr. Seuss books, they never get old.
Through good and bad he is still my brother, I didn’t get to pick him, but if I could I wouldn’t choose anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment